After hip resurfacing I am rediscovering the joys of trail running in New Zealand.

You may still be able to run with a hip replacement using an appropriate running technique and with the right approach.

Thinking long-term after hip surgery

Keep your eye on your hip-running plans

Some runners are concerned that if they set high goals they may push too hard and damage their hip. That may be a risk you'll need to be aware of and consciously manage. The pressure you put on yourself and your hip is your responsibility. You will have to decide when and if to progress to the next step on your plan or to stop where you are.
The last thing you want is revision surgery so if you have been a runner who pushes boundaries, be careful. I guess what I’m saying is be prepared to back off when you need to.

Tinhip tip: Don’t jeopardise your longer term goals by pushing to achieve short term gains.


The fear of failure after a hip replacement

If you are hesitant about setting goals that include running that’s fair enough but if you manage to tick off half the goals on your 10 step plan at least you'll know that you have given it your best shot and achieved as much as possible.

Patience - timing is everything

I spent a long time walking the flat paths of the local park with my trekking poles before I felt ready to tackle my next goal, the steep, gravel trail to Belmont Trig. When I finally stood on the grassy summit and took in the view of Wellington Harbour I felt strong and confident and ready for my next challenge.

Tinhip tip: Following a clear path and staying proactive will help you move toward your goal of returning to running. However over-extending can have disastrous results so listen to your body and be careful.

Pre hip replacement work for runners

Before we explore post-surgery work-outs etc. lets take a look at what you can do before hip replacement or resurfacing surgery.